[page currently under reconstruction]


Friday, February 13, 2009

Broccoli Salad

I've always loved broccoli. I could eat a huge bowl of steamed broccoli by myself when I was a kid. Mmmm. Mushy. Crisp. Steamed. Raw. In a casserole. It didn't really matter. So, I was really excited when I first had this salad with a couple from a church we belonged to before we moved. Not only did she prepare the dish, she also gave me the cookbook from which it came (church cookbook)! Yay! I've been making it ever since. And, since my husband doesn't really like raw broccoli, this one's all for me. :) I did, however, reduce the amount of dressing by half since I thought it got a bit gloppy after a while. But, if you want more dressing, feel free to double the amounts. I also add the stalks of the broccoli, chopped fairly fine, because (1) I don't like to be wasteful, and (2) I like the taste. Enjoy!

Dressing:
1/2 cup mayo
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1/8 cup sugar (or Splenda)
few splashes of millk to thin it out


Salad:

1 bunch of broccoli, florets trimmed & stalks peeled & chopped
1/2 to 3/4 cup raisins
~2 Tbsp. finely minced red onion
1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds (optional, but recommended)

In a large bowl, mix the dressing ingredients, adding as much milk as you need to get the a sauce-like (not mayo-like) consistency and set aside. Prepare the broccoli and onion, then add the salad ingredients to the sauce. Toss to evenly coat. Refrigerate until serving. This gets better the longer it sits; I recommend at least overnight.

No comments: