[page currently under reconstruction]


Monday, June 22, 2009

Sloppy Joes

I'm beginning to think I really do like Rachael Ray after all.
.
.
.
Nah.

But I did try another of her recipes with some success: Sloppy Joes. I'm not a fan of Manwich at all, so I thought I'd give this recipe a try. I made this back in the winter, and after making it a few times since, I decided this is probably my new go-to sloppy joe recipe since it's quick, easy, and I probably have most ingredients on hand anyway. The hotdogs are certainly optional, but my son likes them and they're easy to pick up with little fingers. :) I use ground turkey because I can buy it in 1 lb. frozen packages for a reasonable price. Make a double batch & keep some around for later; it freezes really well.

Sloppy Joes

1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds lean ground sirloin or ground turkey
1 packages beef or pork hot dogs, sliced 1/2-inch thick (optional)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon steak seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce
~8 soft burger rolls

Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat and crumble as it browns. Add the onions to the pan and cook to soften. Add chopped hot dogs after 3 to 4 minutes then cook 3 to 4 minutes more. In a bowl mix the spices, sugar, Worcestershire and tomato sauce. Pour sauce over the meat and simmer about 10 minutes to combine flavors. Spoon onto buns and serve.


Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

No comments: