[page currently under reconstruction]


Sunday, December 20, 2009

Peanut Brittle


'Tis the season for baking and candy-making. I usually do lots of cookie and cake baking around the holidays, but I decided to go the candy route this year. I'd never made Peanut Brittle before, but it turned out to be a lot more simple than I thought! (No candy thermometer required!) This recipe actually comes from my Sunday School teacher when I was ~5 years old, so I'm pretty sure it's tried and true. The original recipe is below; my comments are in italics. Just be sure you (1) are giving it as a gift or (2) have a good hiding place for this because it's highly addictive. Now excuse me while I go hide the rest of this batch from my husband.

Peanut Brittle

2 cups sugar
1 cup white syrup (light corn syrup)
3 cups raw peanuts
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda (baking soda)

Grease two baking pans or line with a silicone baking mat.

Slowly heat sugar with syrup until melted over medium-low heat in a heavy-bottomed, large pot. Bring to a boil and add peanuts. Cook until golden brown, stirring constantly. (This will probably take ~15-20 minutes). Add salt and soda; stir (be careful - it will foam up!), then pour on greased pans while forming. You want a single layer of peanuts if possible, so use your stirring utensil to spread out the mixture into an even layer. Let it cool completely and break into pieces.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Thanks for the recipe, Pam. I'm not sure I had ever tasted peanut brittle until a week or so ago when I was walking by a fudge shop at Dayton's Farmers Market, and they had free samples. Of course, I picked up a piece, and it was delicious! I said I would have to find a recipe and actually try some myself! I'm so glad you posted this!

Casey said...

That sounds delicous Pam