[page currently under reconstruction]


Saturday, May 22, 2010

Poppy Seed Dressing

With all the fresh lettuces and veggies available now, it's definitely salad time! I don't buy salad dressing any more; I just make my own. It's (a) cheaper, (b) tastes better, (c) easier because I have the ingredients on hand, and (d) I can make as much/little as I need. This recipe is one of my favorites from a hometown cookbook. While the recipe yields a quart, you can certainly scale it down without any problems. It's a little on the sweet side, so feel free to cut down on the sugar, too. I find it gets better the longer it sits, so make some now and enjoy it in a day or two, or perhaps in a month or two. It keeps beautifully in the fridge.

Poppy Seed Dressing

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup white vinegar
2 cups canola oil
2 Tbsp. onion, grated
3 Tbsp. poppy seeds

Yield: 1 quart

Mix (whisk together) all but oil & seeds. Add oil slowly (while whisking). Add seeds & beat well. Chill. Keeps for several weeks.

Recipe Courtesy: Triangle VFD Ladies Auxiliary Cookbook, p. 10

1 comment:

Alisa said...

You have wonderful recipes here.If you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!