[page currently under reconstruction]


Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Strawberry Trifle


I realized the perfect way to not waste a cake that falls in the middle is to use it in a trifle! Just trim off the edges and/or any part that isn't done, cube it, and add some macerated fruit and whipped cream. It's delicious! I made this trifle during graduation weekend when we had 19 people at our house to help us celebrate, and it was a big hit. For once, I didn't use a recipe, but I'll explain what I did.

I used leftover Strawberry Cake that I had intended to use as a birthday cake for a friend's daughter. Since the middle fell (it was pitifully embarrasing...it looked awful), I trimmed the edges, cubed it, and froze it until I needed it. I thawed and macerated some strawberries (just spooned sugar over them and let them sit in the fridge overnight) and layered cake, fruit, and whipped cream in a glass bowl with straight sides. (After all, the presentation is really pretty, too!) I topped the whipped cream with a few blueberries, and voila! Easy, tasty dessert with rave reviews.

No comments: